Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Saraswati Puja at School.. Nostalgia


#SaraswatiPuja #SchoolDays
After we left school the craze and attraction for the Saraswati Puja at school craved for more. It was then we realized how important part of our lives this particular day was. After leaving school, I was back on Saraswati Puja every year maybe for the next 4-5 years. That day was a so-called unannounced Reunion Day. But with time it faded away into memories of a lifetime. I, particularly was never associated with the intricacies of the Puja at school maybe because there was always Saraswati Puja happening back home including today. But the fun and nostalgia associated with the school is unforgettable. What actually we did when we visited was boss around because we had found this new title, Seniors or Ex-Students. We would visit the store room which was our Sanctum Sanctorum. This room would usually be locked as fresh vegetables, sweets (particularly umpteen Rasogulla’s) and cooked food were kept inside. And we would somehow sneak in every year and vanish with a bucket full of Rasogolla’s. Yes.. Bucket.. And eating those stolen Rasogolla’s were something I can never explain. And each one of us would eat maybe 10-20 pieces. At any other given time, even today I cannot eat more than 3-4 Rasogolla’s at one go. But this day and at that time anything was possible. It was Joy, Satisfaction, Happiness and what not. But how long does these stay for? Not for long. It happened so in my last visit during Saraswati Puja. As we entered and bossed around, a teacher spotted us and asked us to follow him (For my class-mates it was Ranjan Sir). We followed thinking what he was upto. He straight took us to the locked store room. I was thinking that is he going to let us guard a room which is most vulnerable to us only? Nah, nothing such happened. He unlocked the door and went in as we waited outside. In sometime he was back with a bucket full of Rasogolla’s and handing it over to me he said, every year you all do it secretly, this year I am giving you, have it openly. I, rather we all were awestruck. He handed over, smiled and left with the store room open. We initially surprised with what just happened started gulping down but after a piece or two I realized I was not enjoying it anymore. The fun, the joy, the happiness, the satisfaction had suddenly disappeared. I could not eat a piece more. Strangely that year for some reasons I had missed the lunch also. That was the last time I had visited school during Saraswati Puja. It has been long, very long. The school is also not the same as it used to be. Quite a few years back the school buildings were redeveloped and now it doesn’t look a place where we grew up. But these stories will never fade away.

No comments:

Post a Comment