Friday, January 10, 2020

Kissa Wallet Ka

#KissaWalletKa
Well, have you ever lost something and found it back again? Particularly your wallet. I have, twice. Here is the first incident which occurred a few years back. I was travelling to Mumbai from Kolkata in Duronto Express. I have a habit of keeping my wallet in the back pocket and when sleeping in the train I keep it in the front pocket. And when travelling alone I prefer the upper berth. The upper berth is a kingdom on its own. 😉 Anyway, so when going to sleep what I did was I kept my wallet on the upper berth and started climbing up and would take it once I am up. That’s my usual behavior. The scene happened next morning. I woke up to find my wallet missing. A sense of extreme panic engrossed me. My kingdom was at stake as I couldn’t find my wallet anywhere. I came down and asked people around (maximum were still asleep). The train was at Igatpuri, I remember. Those days the stoppage at Igatpuri was a technical stop as a for addition of a second engine due to the ghats. I boarded at the station and looked for the Travelling Ticket Examiner (TTE) who was stationed in his cabin near the pantry car. I hurried to his kingdom in order to file an First Information Report (FIR) as someone told me that’s the norm. I had also managed to write the complaint on a blank sheet of white paper as per suggestions from the people around. I reached but he refused to take it. What he suggested was that when I de-board at CST (Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, it wasn’t CSMT then) I should file the FIR with Government Railway Police (GRP) at the station. An amused me, hopelessly started back to my seat as the train was also about to leave. Suddenly it clicked my mind that my debit cards should be immediately blocked and as a responsible person I hurriedly called up the bank 24/7 helplines and blocked all my cards. I wondered how will I reach home as I didn’t have cash or card. I called up a friend who was unavailable. My wife was out of town and I didn’t want to bother her. Finally, a dejected me came and sat with gallons of thought in my mind. I searched the place once again to no avail. Meanwhile a person who was sleeping in the side lower berth woke up and seeing me searching he suddenly asked, have you lost your wallet? I was like, yes, Thank God I have found it. But no, he informed that late night a wallet was found and it was with the person in the next coupe as he asked around but didn’t find the owner. I found a ray of hope as I went to check but he was sleeping. Now every minute was like an hour to me. I kept waiting for him to wake up impatiently. Meanwhile breakfast and all that was served which I could hardly eat but gulped down. Finally, after an hour and a half or so, he woke up. And I approached him asking if it was my wallet. He was an elderly man travelling to Mumbai with his daughter. He asked me my name and verification. I said my verification is inside that wallet if he may check my PAN and cards were available. He did and after an eternal morning I got my wallet back all safe and sound but, but the story doesn’t end here. The next few hours till CST the elderly man kept giving me advice on safety and life and youth and what not, which I had listened patiently without uttering much words. I was thankful then and even now. It was an incident and a journey I would never forget. 😊
*N.B.: Will share the 2nd Lost and Found Wallet Incident soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment